Friday, March 4, 2011

BASILICA LADY OF THE GUARD - MARSEILLE






















I am neither christian or religious but intrested in historical buildings when I travel. So the first time I went to Marseille I didn't had time to visit the Basilica the rises above Marseille. On a cold winter day at the end of 2010 finally I made it. After driving winding little road up on the hill, we left the car on the official parking place and climbed up the rest of the stairs. Inside a mess was going on, a lot of people visited the basilica. It's Christimas time.
Candles were litten and thoughts spread to the beloved ones that are not along with us. So did I for my mother.






















It's fascinating to enter such a "construction". It's a piece of art, made of hundreds of person and probably or for sure, without the working conditions we have today.

I can admire those imposant buildings as well as get angry by knowing that, they might have better invested the money in food and give it to the poor. But then again, the poor come in here and get a resting moment with themself and the world, and who am I to judge the need of the 1218 builded chapel by the hermit Master Peter. Pilgrim increased over the years. You will find a huge statue of the Blessed Mother carrying her Son, ment to bless the city and its harbour and for all the visitors of Marseille.























Outside of the Basilica you will have a wonderful view over the Mediterranean Sea and the city of Marseille. The Old Port, the mountains and the islands of Frioul and Château d'If.

In the café/restaurant we warm up our frozen bodies. Devoted christians from Africa and Asia serve you good cakes, tea and coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment