Thursday, September 22, 2011

CASTLE MANDAWA

Today while cleaning my desk I found a brochure of the Castle Mandawa, a hotel we stayed in the heart of Rajasthan. Rajasthan is really colourful and is the reagion of the Rajputs. The little town of Mandawas is knows for it's mural frescoes in the havelis and temples.  I have to admit that normally I would not have the possibility to sleep in such a luxury place but due to the fact that I was travelling as a press photographer I had the great chance to try this kind of life as well.  Our room was amazing with high beds and a marvellous bathroom. Halv of the castle was turned into hotel while the other one was falling apart. Owned by two brothers where the one really cared about the tradition of the maharajas and the other just left it over. It was intresting to see the clear differences between the two parts.

This is one of the guards that you will meet at the entrance of the Castle Mandawa with this traditional clothes.


One evening we went upstairs and have a look of the surroundings. We felt someone was following us.
This mother with her 2 daughters catched us up on the top of one of the towers and asked us if we wanted to take a picture of her. I started to talk with her. She explained us that she had to take care of ther 2 daughters by herself. Her husband died a few years ago and the castle hired her to clean the rooms. So I thought, sure I can take a few picture of you. While travelling in India you have to be prepared that people don't do things without wanting money. In the beginning I got upset about it, but at the end I thought: "It's a job", of course they try to get the best out of it and especially here, in a luxury residence. She left with a big smile and this will always remain in my heart.


One of the tower of the Hotel. There are rooms everywhere.


Evening with buffe and music. The musicians were about 80 years old I guess, but played really good.


Our bedroom....or suite ....


The hall of the hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment